Something about getting dressed and looking nice makes me feel good.
But as a stay-at-home mom of an active toddler, some days (more than I care to admit) I don’t end up getting dressed until afternoon. On some days I wouldn’t even call what I do “getting dressed” since I just switch from pajamas to yoga pants (because I am going to work out of course…well maybe). However, too many days in a row of this and my self-confidence and self-motivation take a major hit.
Once when I was stuck in the endless pajamas/yoga pants cycle, I decided to do an experiment. For one week I got up and immediately got dressed. The results were amazing; I felt more awake, alert, and prepared for my day. I also felt better about myself; more confident and motivated to accomplish the tasks waiting for me.
Shortly after this experiment, I started to notice how often the Bible talks about being clothed.
Verses About Being Clothed
- Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Colossians. 3:12
- Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. Colossians 3:14
- I am overwhelmed with joy in the Lord my God! For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness. Isaiah 61:10
- Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor, and clothe yourself in honor and majesty. Job 40:10
- Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6: 13-17
- She is clothed with strength and dignity; Proverbs 31:25a
- You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, Psalm 30:11
If just putting on clothes can make such a difference, how much more of a difference would I notice if I asked God to clothe me each day?
Time for another experiment, and I want you to join me on this one.
For the next week, say this prayer while you are getting dressed:
When we take the time to ask God to clothe us each day, we will fully prepared to face whatever the day holds.
Pin for Later: